Subject: Re: stderr & $VER (fwd)
From: [email-masked] (Son Huu Le)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1993 12:48:19 +1000 (EST)

Forwarded message:
 From [email-masked] Wed Jul 14 22:48:18 1993
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1993 08:46:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph E. Van_Riper III" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: stderr & $VER
To: [email-masked]
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
Organization: University of North Carolina at Asheville
X-Vms-To: IN%"[email-masked]"
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; CHARSET=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT

You typed (regarding International Date Format for VER strings):

>Are you sure it's (d.m.yy) ?

I am pretty sure that IS the International Date Format.  Although, looking at
the Includes and Autodocs, in the dos.library/DateToStr() function, it shows
for dat_Format a FORMAT_INT that is (yy-mmm-dd).. but somehow, I feel certain
that THAT couldn't be right for VER strings <grin>.

Doing it m.d.y is very American.. I know of no other country that formats their
date that way.  And frankly, I think it's a stupid format (but, I suppose I'm
not a very good American <grin>).  It's less logical... the d.m.y format shows
an increasing level of scope, while a y.m.d format would show a decreasing
level of scope, while m.d.y just plain LOOKS bad, is inelegant, and can get the
year/day confused when written in longer format (May 3rd, 1994... have to use a
',' to keep the confusion away.. not so with 3 May 94.. SO much more elegant).

Which has nothing whatsoever to do with E, and probably annoys the heck out of
the readership here.. sorry.  I'll shut up now.

- Trey